Tuesday 6 November 2012

Spitting, bikes and buses

First off, what's with the spitting here? Like, wtf? It's so disgusting. People (okay, guys) just spit wherever and whenever they want. As if Border Security doesn't chuck those people out?

Moving on. Went to Golden Gate Park today which is actually 20% larger than Central Park. I rented a bike, which would have been utterly hilarious to watch if I'd been anyone else. Because - and here is a life lesson I'm helpfully imparting to you, my friends/family/weirdos who've stumbled upon this blog, do not even attempt to rent a bike if you don't know how to ride one and are by yourself. Seriously. I may not have fallen off (success!) but I certainly looked ridiculous. I had trouble steering, so I was wobbling all over the place, and then the whole "gears" thing like a manual car had me freaking out so I stayed in first which probably didn't help, and let's not get started on actually getting the bike going. Omg. I did have fun though, please don't get me wrong. I was 50% having the time of my life, 50% scared out of my mind I'd fall down all those stairs around the concourse (or I'd smash into a car on the road I was supposed to share). Especially since I was like I'M NOT PAYING A $4 INSURANCE FEE! Which I probably should have done since the bike was worth like $400 at least.

Okay, maybe like 45%, 55%.

But I saw stuff and rode public transport for quite some time, so that's some growth there. I loved the Conservatory of Flowers (was free today for some reason. YAY BARGAIN!) and the Japanese tea garden and whatever that pretty thing that I thought was Shakespeare something or other, was.

And I don't even feel guilty about that super greasy and cheesy angus burger from that random street vendor because I had to walk UPHILL to get back to my hostel (which I looooove btw. Fantastic location/room/beds/private bathrooms etc) and I did look a fair bit embarrassing when I arrived back because I was super red faced and sweaty - but NOT puffed out! So thrilled with myself. All that walking everywhere has paid off!

PICTURES?
$5 pasta night at the hostel last night! I FINISHED IT ALL

A tiny view of the Japanese Tea Garden from the top of a
very, very bizzare bridge I literally climbed to get ontop of

"PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN" - oh yeah, it happened.
IT HAPPENED ALRIGHT.

I swear to Disney that this is the coolest thing I've
ever seen. Doesn't it look like a seal wearing
a sombrero? YOU'RE WELCOME



9 comments:

  1. that last picture is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Whatever that yellow thing is, it's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahahahahaha I am just picturing you riding the bike. oh em. we should go riding when you get home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cant put my finger on it but the Sobrerro wearing flower looks like something from Charlie and the chocolate factory.
    Love the pictures. A nice variety of what you have been doing. Looking very sporty with the bike... So not usually you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is EXACTLY what I am like on a bike. Lesson learnt: When your school forces you to go on campinng and ask whether you can do mountain biking, JUST SAY NO. Two or three times.

    Aaaand, that last picture is just AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete